move data to larger drive

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sat Sep 25 14:00:19 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 09:34, Timothy Payne wrote:
> I have a machine running RH 7.3 but the disk is about full.  I would
> like to move the data to a larger drive then upgrade that drive with FC2
> keeping the original drive intact so I can just plug it back in if
> things go wrong.
>
> So the question is if I copy the old to the new will the partitions
> expand to fill the space, if not how.
>

> Will FC2 upgrade RH 7.3 ?
>

> Should I install FC2 on the larger drive then copy data over?  But I'm
> assuming I'll lose all the settings on the old drive.
>
> I should just leave it alone it works fine, but I can't help myself.
>
> Tim...

I think your best option would be to install FC2 on the new harddrive,
then mount the old disk drive as a second drive and copy your data from
the one to the other.

There are enough changes from 7.3 to FC2 that I believe this would save
you lots of problems you will probably have going through an upgrade.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Whatever you want to do, you have to do something else first.