Rant on LABELs

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Sep 25 15:06:16 UTC 2004

Just got caught again by this LABEL nonsense.
I was mounting my laptop hard disk on my desktop -
both running Fedora-
and the whole thing was thrown into confusion
because there were two partitions LABELed "/",
on my desktop hard disk and on the laptop hard disk.

I had to start again in single mode,
and change all the entries in /etc/fstab and /etc/grub.conf .

Who thought up this LABEL business?
It seems to me to cause much more trouble than any help it gives.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366