backup a write-protected CD in Linux

YigalB byigal at zahav.net.il
Sat Sep 25 21:31:13 UTC 2004

>>          However, in windows XP - you could get the CloneCD
application
>from
>> SlySoft, or perhaps find a demo version of the Elaborate Bytes
version
>> somewhere. CloneCD will copy almost any CD, and is especially good at
>creating
>> backup copies of software.
>
>If you're talking audio, cdparanoia should do the trick. It certainly
>has here and only failed on the the most recent Norah Jones album (the
>final 2 tracks would not come off).
>
>For data, it depends on the data protection. Quite a lot of software
now
>uses an burn angle test. Basically, all CD recorders burn at a slightly
>different angle. At the mastering process, the burn angle is encrypted
>onto the disc (IIRC, it's in the q block). The software runs, checks
the
>angle and runs. When you copy the disc, the original burn angle is
>copied, but the disc laser won't burn at the same angle, so the
software
>doesn't run.
>
>Of course, it could also use marks on the disc (found on games - they
>look like blue stripes).
>
>CloneCD may copy these. There should be no reason why a sector by
sector
>copy of the CD shouldn't work.
>
>It goes without saying that such a practise is illegal and may get you
>locked up with a very nice man called "Spike"...

[<Yigal>] being locked up doesn't change my situation. I am already
married.
For CloneCD: I tried and it failed.. have no idea why.. maybe its
because I didn't mark the "read sub channel" in audio and data...

Thar was on the XP - and at this time Itry to migrate all my
applications to Linux - and I wonder what Linux can offer. But ofcourse
- I need any soloution.. even if I will have to use my VIC 20