K3B not recognizing burners capabilities

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Sat Sep 25 21:59:22 UTC 2004

Brian Mury wrote:
> K3B recently stopped recognizing my burner's capabilities properly. It
> thinks it can't burn CDs or DVD+R(W)s.
>
> It works properly if I run it as root, but not if I run it as any other
> user.
>
> Here's a couple screenshots - pay attention to the "Writes CDs", "Writes
> DVD+R(W)s", and "Write modes" lines.
>
> not root (broken): http://members.shaw.ca/brianmury/k3b.png
> root (working):    http://members.shaw.ca/brianmury/k3b_root.png
>
> Any ideas?

Yup. I'd like to answer your question before you get pounced on for not
checking the archive, because this CD burning issue comes up ... a lot.
   ;-)

So first of all, bookmark this archive url so you can quickly search the
list archive:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2

The Redhat archive is pretty much out to lunch and not up to the task,
but the above archive has been dependable.

Most likely you are seeing the FAQ related to the 2.6.8.x kernel. Read
the news at http://www.k3b.org

If you can burn as root, then simply su to the root user, and burn away,
or alternatively boot into an existing kernel < 2.6.8.

However, that didn't work in my case (I learned a very important lesson:
keep an old kernel around for a while after a kernel upgrade!), so I had
to re-install an older kernel. I detailed how I did it at this tutorial:

http://penguinsolutions.org/fedora/cdrw/

We all hope this issue gets addressed in the next kernel upgrade that
comes out.

Hope this helps,
Clint