Question on erasing Gnome desktop

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 26 00:48:28 UTC 2004

Hi Kyle,

Tks for your advice.

> > Drupal requests Apache, PHP and MySQL running .
> > free HD space for them I'm prepared to erase GNOME
> > desktop which I only visit occasionally, most
> times
> > using KDE.
>
> It looks like you should have enough space for the
> install, though I'm
> not sure how much space you'll need for the DB
> itself. Is this a
> workstation running a Drupal instance or an actual
> server?

I'm prepared to test Drupal on this workstation not as
an actual server, with the sole target learning this
software.  I don't think I need a large space for DB.

> > 1) On/after erasing all GNOME packages will it
> cause
> > breakage to other packages
>
> It'll break things with dependencies, yes, so you'll
> want to make sure
> that any packages that depend on GNOME are not
> important to you.
>
> > 2) Can I retain gnomemeeting-1.0.2-2?  Can it work
> > without GNOME desktop?
>
> Check the dependencies (rpm -q --info gnomemeeting)
> but I doubt it
> will work. Again, is this a workstation or a server
> (or a bit of
> both)?

Noted with tks.

> > 3) What other packages can I strip to free more HD
> > space
>
> OpenOffice.org is large. You also might dig into the
> directories ("du
> -sk /" and work down from there) to see where all
> your usage is.

Noted with tks

> A new
> HD also might be cheaper than all the time you're
> going to spend
> working on this.

Yes, that is true.  Beside I have spare 40G
ATA-100/133 HDs available.  But this old box is
running ATA-66 on a controller.  The best idea is if
HD space is sufficient then I will go straight
installing relevant software for this test.

> yum remove/erase will check dependencies for you.
> I'm not sure the
> former command works? The shell would probably try
> to expand out the
> wildcard and not all gnome-dependent packages start
> with the string
> "gnome".

Noted with thanks

B.R.