Installing Fedora Core 2 on a machine that cannot boot A cdrom

Johnathan Mayo johnathan4 at adelphia.net
Mon Sep 27 02:44:57 UTC 2004

Hi,

I just wanted to let everybody who needed to know how I installed Fedora Core 2 on a machine which is not capable of booting off of a cdrom.

I read that most people installed Fedora Core 1 and copied the kernel to /boot. I did not want to go through this effort so here is what I did:

Boot off of a Win98SE startup disk.
Made a small dos partition using fdisk (7mb).
Used sys to make it bootable.
Went to other computer.
Extracted the kernel and initrd from the diskboot.img using WinImage.
Burned them and loadlin to cd.
I am still booted off of the Win98SE disk so I can read CD's.
Copyed loadlin, kernel and initrd to dos partition.
rebooted off of hdd
launched installer using loadlin.
Selected Erase all partitions

Now you can't even tell that I did it. They should make floppy images though.