how to format an mp3 player thumbdrive?

Didier Casse didierbe at sps.nus.edu.sg
Mon Sep 27 06:50:44 UTC 2004

On 27/09/04, at 09:26 +0300, Andrey Andreev <andreev at cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:

> Didier Casse wrote:
> > A friend gave me his usb mp3 thumbdrive and when I ran my "hwbrowser", I
> > saw a /dev/sda alone with no partitions having been created.
> >
> > These are some of the things I tried:

> > (root at microtronyx:root)# cat  /proc/scsi/scsi
> >
> > Attached devices:
> > Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
> >   Vendor: CREATIVE Model: MuVo TX FM       Rev: 0001
> >   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> >

> A dumb guess, try /sbin/parted maybe?

(root at microtronyx:root)# /sbin/parted /dev/sda
GNU Parted 1.6.9
Copyright (C) 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 Free Software Foundation,
Inc.
This program is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
WITHOUT ANY
WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS
FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for more details.

Using /dev/sda
Error: Unable to open /dev/sda - unrecognised disk label.
Information: The operating system thinks the geometry on /dev/sda is
1024/64/32.

(parted)

With kind regards,
Didier.

---
Didier F.B Casse | PhD student | Singapore Synchrotron light Source (SSLS)
Email: didierbe AT sps dot nus dot sg | Web: http://ssls.nus.edu.sg
GPG Key 1024D/B3C57D01 2004-06-23