gnome/nautilus in FC2 question (scripts in nautilus)

Tom Eicher teicher-fedora at tkilla.ch
Mon Sep 27 10:11:10 UTC 2004

> Andrea Giuliano wrote:
>
>     On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 15:59, Dexter Ang wrote:
>
>         Christoph Wickert wrote:
>
>It will show up in the menu as so as you drop a script in the script
>folder.
>

>             Christoph
>

>         And to those who don't know, the script folder is located in
>         ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts
>

>Right, and actually all my old scripts are still there, but they don't
>appear in the menu anymore. They are organized in directories, and the
>name of these dirs is the only thing the menu will show. Any script
>inside them is not shown.
>

>I also tried to drop a new script inside that folder, but nothing
>happened!
>

>     Mah...
>

> Hmmm... could it possibly be that your scripts aren't executable? I've
> just tested on my directory, and chmod-ing scripts to 664 makes the
> Script option disappear. Changing them back to 775 makes the Script
> option appear again.
>
> dex

I found out the following: after deleting any entries for "any/any" and
"application/x-shellscript" in the mime databases (see below), the
scripts started to work again. It seems that the Script-Folder-Logic not
only checks the executable permission, but also the default action for
shell scripts. If the default action somehow maps to an editor, the
scripts do not show up.

The files I modified:

~/.gnome/application-info/user.applications (for gedit, which I had
associated with .sh files) ~/.gnome/mime-info/user.keys
~/.gnome/mime-info/user.mime

-tom