VmWare Workstation and 2.6.8.1 kernel

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Mon Sep 27 16:24:56 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 11:07, Craig wrote:
> Jean-Marie Verdun wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am willing to use VmWare Workstation as a development platform on my
> > R3140US laptop ( AMD64 ). I am facing right now an issue with the
> > 2.6.8.1 kernel ( 64 bits ) which I just have updated on my Fedora Core 2/
> > I am running the demo version of vmware which was running fine with
> > 2.6.5 kernel.
> > So, the vmnet bridge between vmnet0 and eth0 seems to be broken.
> > Does any body have soon meet this issue ? Is there a fix somewhere
> > available for the kernel or from VmWare. There software is very good and
> > I am willing to acquire it ....
> >
> > Jm
> >
> I can only add my voice to yours in knowing that you're not alone. I have
> encountered the same problem and it exists with both the 2.6.8 and 2.6.7 kernels
> I have tried. There response is that they are having software interaction
> troubles with fc2 because the kernel is too new (read bleeding edge). That was
> from a call on Friday to see how I liked the demo. Have not gotten around to
> contacting support yet (that is what I intend to do today).
>
> Craig

Craig,

I have VMWare Workstation 4.5.2 Build 8848 (stock, no vmupdates) running
just fine on FC2, updated to the latest kernel (2.6.8-1.521).  The
reason I did not jump in on the earlier post, is that mine is on a
Pentium M processor and he was having problems on the AMD64....  So the
problem would seem to point to processor architecture, unless he has a
configuration problem....

Remember to re-run vmware-config.pl each time you install a new kernel
to copy the modules into the new /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/
directory structure....

HTH,

--Rob