Sad experience with Fedora on Sony Picturebook

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Mon Sep 27 19:22:26 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 18:06 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> There has been a steady decline in the ease with which
> I have been able to upgrade or install Redhat/Fedora
> on my Sony C1VFK Picturebook,
> using the stanard CD51 CD reader.
>
> Redhat-8.0 was the last distribution that installed without problem.
> With Redhat-9 I had to respond to the boot prompt with
> "linux ide2=0x180,0x386".
>
> With Fedora-1 I had to expand this to
> "linux ide2=0x180,0x386 pci=off".
>
> I could not install Fedora-2 from CD;
> I had to install it from hard disk.
>
> I just tried Fedora-3 test2
> and I could not install this from CD or hard disk.
> With CD (and the mantra above) it reached the point
> where I opted to install from local CD,
> but at that point my screen filled with garbage.
>
> The hard disk installation got past the dependency check,
> but then bombed out with the error message in upgrade.log
> "Upgrading 658 packages
> error: db4 error(2) from dbenv->close: No such file or directory".
>
> It's pretty depressing when it gets harder to install a distribution
> rather than easier ...

...so please file bug reports about all of these issues, and it'll make
it easier to turn the bad situation around.  Stuff in mailing lists gets
lost easily (especially fedora-list; if you're testing FC3test2 you may
want to post to fedora-test-list instead).  Thanks!

Dave "trying to be positive" Malcolm