Choosing an approach to Fedora upgrades.

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Sep 28 00:21:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 14:45, Peter McDermott wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I've been reading the thread and thinking about how to partition my hard
> drive. Could you tell me if this is feasible (or if it even makes any
> sense):
>
> 80 gig hd
>     - hd0      ntfs        30 gig      - winxp (I know but I'm a newbie
> with linux)
>     - hd1      ext3       10 gig      - /home (to be shared between
> installed linux distros)
>     - hd2      ext3       20 gig      - / , fedora core 2
>     - hd3      ext3       20 gig      - / . fedora core 3 test 2
>
> I don't know about the size distrabution... should /home get 30 gig and
> hd2/3 get 10 gig each?

If you are downloading a lot of stuff then home should be larger.
You also need a swap partition

I probably would do 20gb winxp, 1gb swap (large excess in most
situations), 30gb home, and split the rest for the 2 linux partitions.
Note that some say Linux does not like /boot to be in an extended
partition so you may want to create 2 /boot partitions as primary
partitions and put all the rest of the linux stuff in extended
partitions.
On the disk that would be
XP
/boot (FC2)