Belkin trackball problems (was: mouse problems in anaconda)

linux r linuxr at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 01:42:08 UTC 2004

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:49:59 -0400, linux r <linuxr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 23:37:57 +0200, Ketil Hage <khage at start.no> wrote:
> > i had the same problem, solved it by turning usb support off on the
> > motherboard... got a tips from J. Spaar :)
> >
> > kh
> >

> > On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 23:33, Kia Dabirian wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I have no mouse functionality in Anaconda.
> > >
> > > The mouse is "PS/2 Compatible Mouse".
> > >
> > > Just before the graphic mode switches, the text "Generic 3 - Button
> > > Mouse (PS/2)" is printed.
> > >
> > > Any assistance will be much appreciated.
> > >

> > > Kia

> I have a somewhat related problem...my belkin PS/2 trackball isn't
> really embraced too well by FC1...did one install, it gave me fits.
> Another install, it is working better.  It doesn't always work
> well...especially horizontal movements, I have had to move vertically
> in order to make a horizontal move.  Not to impose on this post, but I
> had also chosen 'generic 3 button' so maybe the two things are
> somewhat related....any info is appreciated.
>
> Marc

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to make a trackball operate
better?  I am about ready to pull my hair out and go to some other
type of mouse (any suggestions for FC that works great pls let me
know).  With the trackball, you have to get a 'running start' on the
screen, then of course you overshoot your destination.  Small precise
movements are hell.  This is exactly the *opposite* of what I was
hoping to achieve!  Funny this worked fine with RH8  &  9....I always
just take the default selection for generic three button and it would
be ok.

When I run redhat-config-mouse I get some choices but none for my
belkin trackball.  Is there a trick or something else good that I can
substitute?  I am thinking maybe 'kensington' which seems a little
closer than some of the other choices.  Does anyone know what exactly
it is detecting, surely it isn't actual manufacturer identifiers,
probably just the general type of device anyway.  I will continue to
play with this but as it is my only system at the moment I don't want
to hose it.  :)

Any information or guidance is greatly appreciated.

linuxr