latest cdrecord problem status

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Tue Sep 28 09:20:25 UTC 2004

> I don't mean to be a pest, but can you send me a pointer to exactly
> where you have explained how to burn CDs under FC2.  A modest search of
> the archives hasn't turned up anything.  Ditto /usr/src/linux/README and
> the files under /usr/src/linux/Documentation.
>
> The latest cdrecord upgrade has completely broken CD burning on my
> system; the last audio CD is **quite** amusing and not unpleasant to
> listen to, but nothing like the original sound.
>
> Many thanks for all your good postings:
>
> Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net>

I'm not clear on what you're needing help with: the specifics of how to
use cdrecord (or the much easier to use k3b), or is your problem
associated with the "can't burn as a non-root user in kernel 2.6.8.x"?

k3b is very intuitive and does a nice job burning cds with a minimum of
fuss. However if you are using the 2.6.8.x kernel, you can't burn as a
non-root user. Your choices are to either a) su to the root user and
burn away, or b) boot into an earlier kernel.

This tutorial may be of some help:
http://penguinsolutions.org/fedora/cdrw/

Here's a trick I've used to help teach myself the necessary cdrecord
commands: burn in k3b, but make a note of the output log. It provides
the specific cdrecord command that k3b created to get the job done.

Hope this helps,
Clint