FC2+rsync+file corruption

Mike McMullen mlm at loanprocessing.net
Wed Sep 29 00:27:35 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Wilkinson" <james at westexe.demon.co.uk>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: FC2+rsync+file corruption

> Mike McMullen wrote:
> > I am experiencing file+filesystem corruption when trying to do an rsync
> > to an FC2 system.
> >
> > I have two FC2 systems. I use rsync to create a mirror of  our office data
> > on the one system as a backup during different times of the day.
> >
> > Both systems were originally running RH7.3. A week a go I freshly installed
> > FC2 from CD and updated to the most current version of packages on the
> > main server and moved our applications over. The system ran fine for the
> > week. So I installed FC2 from CD and updated packages on the backup
> > server this weekend. This all went great.
> >
> > Today as I am trying to sync the backup to the main, I get the following
> > errors after the rsync goes merrily on for about 8 gigabytes synced to the
> > backup server.
> >
> > failed to set times on "somefilenamehere": Read-only file system
> >
> > Then I get the following error on every file after that:
> >
> > mkstemp "/EPC/data/SuppDocs/Vista/MooreM-1rst/.anotherfilename.Wnopm8" failed: Read-only file system
> >
> > The entire file system which is "/" is now read-only. If I try to reboot I get that the filesystem needs
> > checked and drops me into maintenance. I fsck the partition and it find all kinds of problems
> > and some files are mangled.
>
> Sounds weird.
>
> Run uname -a, please: there's an outside chance that you might have got
> a particular test kernel (2.6.8-1.538) that has been causing problems
> just like these.
>
> Otherwise, it *could* always be a case of recently-developed memory
> problems: run memtest86 to check.
>
> Run smartctl -l error /dev/hdx on the underlying hard drives.
>
> I'm not going to be popular for asking this, but is the problem
> repeatable? Does it happen with a kernel.org kernel?
>
> If you get to this point and the errors are repeatable, please enter
> the problem into bugzilla.redhat.com.
>
> James.

Hi James!

Thanks for the reply!

It happened two times on that server. I had another server handy and went through
the install process repeating every thing on it and nothing happened. It worked as
expected. I was under a time crunch and took the path of least resistance.

The kernel is 2.6.8-1.521. I am suspecting like you a recent memory problem. That
server is at another location and I will be back there tomorrow. I plan on running
memtest86 on it.

Thanks!

Mike