FC2+rsync+file corruption

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Tue Sep 28 10:24:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 04:33, Mike McMullen wrote:

> I have two FC2 systems. I use rsync to create a mirror of  our office data
> on the one system as a backup during different times of the day.
Good on you.

> Both systems were originally running RH7.3. A week a go I freshly installed
> FC2 from CD and updated to the most current version of packages on the
> main server and moved our applications over. The system ran fine for the
> week. So I installed FC2 from CD and updated packages on the backup
> server this weekend. This all went great.
So.. both are not FC2?

> Today as I am trying to sync the backup to the main, I get the following
> errors after the rsync goes merrily on for about 8 gigabytes synced to the
> backup server.

> failed to set times on "somefilenamehere": Read-only file system
So... after 8 gigs, the problem comes around? Meaning, after 8G, the FS becomes Read Only?

> Then I get the following error on every file after that:
>
> mkstemp "/EPC/data/SuppDocs/Vista/MooreM-1rst/.anotherfilename.Wnopm8" failed: Read-only file system
>
> The entire file system which is "/" is now read-only. If I try to reboot I get that the filesystem needs
> checked and drops me into maintenance. I fsck the partition and it find all kinds of problems
> and some files are mangled.
What sort of partition is it?

> FYI, I am running software raid and "/" is a software raid-1 partition consisting of two devices. Both
> are configured the same and are the same disk drives.
I don't have experience there.

In My case, I've used it to actually move a partition from /dev/hda9 to
/dev/hda8 using rsync. (I've already removed my oroginal fc2 partition
on /dev/hda9 and now toying with gentoo)

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel