reiserfs curruption + Unable to allocate memory

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Thu Sep 30 06:04:31 UTC 2004

Guys,

reiserfs3+fc2+2.6.7

	Pressing issue which I'm seeing. Shut-down machine, system detected fs
error.

Proceeded to boot into single mode,

reiserfsck --check /dev/hda8

says.. error.. can be fixed with --fix-fixable

reiserfsck --fix-fixable /dev/hda8

Nothing happens. eg: the same message that comes out when I do --check
come out when i do --fix-fixable

Okay.. Didn't want to --rebuild-tree

Reboot, during load-up, init complains of fs errors and does autofsck.
Complains about the error and then tries to fix... out comes a _lot_ of
"cannot allocate memory" problems.

Problem still can't be fixed.

Boot into Knoppix 3.2 for reiserfsck from tere. Same issue.

deleted /dev/hda8/.autofsck
reboot into fc2
Same problems. Won't let me boot up.

In the end.. Now, I've resorted to using reiserfsck --rebuild-tree
/dev/hda8

Sigh.. I've had this FS curruption more than 5 times since going to FC2
on reiserfs. I was using rh9+ext3 previously.

Is it because I often use hibernate? Nigel (swsusp2) says I should
switch to ext3 if intend to do any hibernation stuffs.

Comments?? Experiences??

PS: Don't have Internet access, so I had to resort to do --rebuild-tree
as I really need to use the laptop.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel