character encoding: Windows XP vs Linux

Carlo Orecchia carlo at numb.darktech.org
Thu Sep 30 10:31:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Jean Morissette wrote:

> Hi all,
> When I transfert files from my girlfriend Windows XP computer to my Linux FC2
> computer, I cannot read the files names properly from my Linux.  Specials
> chacarters like é à è are remplaced with a white space.  Can you help me or
> do I have to change my girlfriend? ;-)
> Thank
> Jean
> PS: My variable $LANG is equal to fr_CA.UTF-8.

edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n

and try using fr_CA only without UTF-8:
check if under SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en ...etc " you have also the
fr_CA without .UTF-8

then change LANG to

LANG="fr_CA"

leave all the rest unchanged and then reboot

this is my file so you can understand better what i mean

LANG="en_US"
SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

--