critical OO bug

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 1 01:21:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:56:17 +0530
gaurav <gauravp at hclcomnet.co.in> wrote:

> Hi,
> there is critical bug in OO ...in any OO doc right click on spelling
> mistake ...... machine will go into zombie and entire machine will hang
> till end of time or till you restart .....this problem is not there OO 2
> beta
> Is there any patch for this ??

That's an old problem, and I'm not sure if the current OOo update fixes it
or not (it may - but I'd already fixed the problem on my original OOo
installation). OOo by default is checking WAY too many spelling
dictionaries when you right click on a misspelled word, and
sucking up about 700 megs or so of RAM.

To fix the problem, do this (as root):

* Go to the /usr/lib/ooo-1.1/share/dict/ooo directory
* Edit this file: dictionary.lst
* Comment out or delete all the lines for languages you don't use.  Since
I use US English only, I deleted everything in that file except for these
three lines:

DICT en US en_US
HYPH en US en_US
THES en US th_en_US

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!