KMail/Evolution Disk space usage

Chris Ruprecht chris at ruprecht.org
Fri Apr 1 03:45:48 UTC 2005

Hi all,

my email arrives at my server and gets filtered into the appropriate
directories with procmail - all is well.

I then use Evolution or KMail depending on the mood of the day to read/send
messages (using IMAP, not POP so that the stuff stays on the server) and all
is still well, or so it seems. Until I started to investigate my disk space
that is, and why there are only 2 GB left on the 40 GB laptop drive.
What I found is a little astonishing: all mails get copied to the laptop from
the server so that I now have 3 copies of everything: 1: server, 2:
Evolution, 3: KMail - so if I was to eventually move to Thunderbird, provided
they sort the addressbook import using vcards out one day, I will have #4
copy sitting around.

Since I have no intention of deleting anything on the server, matters will
gradually get worse, I guess. My question is:

Is there a way to tell the IMAP client (Evolution or KMail) to NOT bring the
messages over, the header would be perfectly fine?

I can limit the damage by using only Evolution - but it's fonts are so
rediculously large under KDE and the laptop screen real-estate is somewhat in
high demand, so smaller is better.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Chris