Grub drive assignments

David Niemi drn_temp2 at rogers.com
Sun Apr 3 11:14:14 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-04 at 11:58 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 06:37 -0400, David Niemi wrote:
> > How do the drive assignments work in Grub?
> >
> > I have 4 hard drives in a computer:
> >  hda - ntfs data disk
> >  hdb - ntfs data disk
> >  sda - FC3, Grub, used LVM default installation with SELinux
> >  sdb - ntfs, WinXP
> >
> > During the install initially grub was going to be installed to hda which
> > I didn't want so I unplugged the 2 drives and installed with the 2 SATA
> > active.  Because of this sda is hd0 in Grub and sdb is hd1.  Once I
> > plugged the other 2 drives back in Grub wouldn't boot to WinXP.
> >
> > At the moment I change the boot priority to sdb in the bios to boot to
> > WinXP.  This is the pertinent sections of my grub.conf:
> > *********************************
> > title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
> >         root (hd0,0)
> >         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> > rhgb quiet
> >         initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
> > title Other
> >         rootnoverify (hd1,0)
> >         chainloader +1
> > *********************************
> > I tried some Google searches, man grub, and fought with info grub to no
> > avail.
> >
> > How do I change the drive assignments to get Grub to point to the right
> > drive to boot WinXP also?
>
> Grub uses the same drive ordering as your BIOS.
>
> So you probably want to change hd0 references to hd2 and hd1 references
> to hd3.
>
> Paul.

The order is sda, sdb, hda, hdb.  With sda booting with Grub, when I
select "Other" to boot XP as is above, I get the following displayed on
screen:
Booting 'Other'

Rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

Then the blinking cursor 2 lines down, so I thought that the drive
reference was wrong.  Any way to check? XP is installed on the first
partition of sdb in a 50Gb partition.