apt-get works better than yum

Jiann-Ming Su sujiannming at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 17:09:30 UTC 2005

On Apr 4, 2005 12:52 PM, Rick Lim <ricklim at telus.net> wrote:

> Sorry I should clarify my posting, I have already upgraded from FC1 to FC3
> using the ISO CD rom.
>
> When I now try to update my FC3 using YUM it fails miserably, which it also
> failed on another FC3 system, on this other FC3 system apt-get worked
> wonderfully.

Yum configuration between FC1 and FC3 changed quite a bit.  You should
have the following two files:

/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo:
  [base]
  name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
  baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$ba
  search/os/
  #mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releasever
  enabled=1
  gpgcheck=1

/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo:
  [updates-released]
  name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
  baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
  #mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc$releasever
  enabled=1
  gpgcheck=1

Change the baseurl to your favorite mirror.  You also need to download
the GPG keys.  Make sure you are in /etc/yum.repos.d/ and run:

  rpm --import http://some_mirror_that_has/RPM-GPG-KEY
  rpm --import http://some_mirror_that_has/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora

You may also want to access the DAG repositories:

/etc/yum.repos.d/dag.repo
  [dag]
  name=Dag RPM Repository for Fedora Core
  baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag