FC 3 Install Success! - NOT

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Apr 5 03:38:42 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 23:43 +0200, Mark Mecum (teknowiztx) wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions.  I am booting in runlevel 3 and am logging on without the respawning messages.
>
> After a little more fishing I have found that there are no files/directories installed in /usr or /var (and probably other places) which appears to be why so much (and probably the x11 serv) is broken.
>
> That leaves me with several outstanding key questions:
>
> 1] How did the installer leave me with such a screwed up mess?

The install failed in the middle.  I was just the receipient of the same
message and symptoms

> 2] Should I report this as a bug on bugzilla?

No, not for a hardware problem.  Mine was a power supply failing and I
saw one other that had a failing UPS (again power).

> 3] Are all of the startup messages that are sent to the screen recorded in a file for later viewing? (many of them go by too fast to catch)
>

> 4] Any ideas how to figure out which files the installer did not get in place and repair the installation?

Manually install each item, or do a new install.  I was remote so I had
to copy the rpm files from the distro CDs to the server at fault (ssh
was running so I used scp).  Then I had to manually identify each item
that rpm said I needed to install yum and install them with rpm.

After I got that far, I did a full update with yum and it did fix most
but not all of the rpm database.
Now I still have to identify what was installed but not written to the
db, etc.

I think I am going to redo the install since the hardware has been fixed
so I can get out of this nightmare.