imap client issues

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Apr 5 19:25:21 UTC 2005

Set up dovecot -

fetchmail --> procmail --> Maildir

I can't use it for smtp because a lot of mail hosts (rightly so, to
fight spam) will not accept my mail unless I use my ISP smtp server.

Eudora - after telling it to accept the certificate can read mail. Can
not send - my smtp requires a password, which happens to be different
than the password I am using on the dovecot box. No way I can find to
specify that password to Eudora.

Evolution - can read the mail just fine, but seems to have same problem
as Eudora, it seems to assume the check password is same as smtp
password.

Balsa, my client of choice - does allow different password for checking
and sending, but it seems unable to check my mail (balsa 2.2.5) - I
suspect because of the ssl certificate on the dovecot box.

I *really* don't want to use the same password on the dovecot box that
I use with my pop account, I am forwarding logs and other info to the
dovecot imap server so I can read them from wherever, and my smtp
password is the same as what fetchmail uses to pop the account, so if
they sniff that and its the same as what I use to log into the imap
server, sensitive info could be read.

Any way to make evolution use a different password for smtp
authentication? Any way to tell balsa the ssl certificate is OK?

As far as Eudora goes, I'll look for another windows mail client if I
can't find a solution for that (on a different resource)

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/