FC3 keeps on giving problems

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Apr 6 13:09:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Andy Green wrote:

> Do you have another Linux machine with a webserver?  What I have taken
> to doing is downloading the ISO files, but instead of burning them all,
> I burn the first one and transfer all the ISOs to a server here with apache.
>
> Then I do something like this on the server, as root
>
> cd /var/www/html
> mkdir iso
> mount -o loop FC3-i386-SRPMS-disc1.iso iso
>
> Boot off your first CD but when it asks, tell it to install over http
> from your webserver like http://server/iso
>
> Then the install will take everything else from the server over http.
> When it asks for the second CD, on the server do this
>
> umount iso
> mount -o loop FC3-i386-SRPMS-disc2.iso iso
>
> and a similar deal for the third CD.  The installer doesn't go back to
> earlier CDs so it's simple enough.  It's also much much faster than
> install from CDs!  At the end
>
> umount iso
>
> on the server and you're done.

Much easier to just use another linux machine as an NFS server.  Make an NFS
export, just lob the iso images in a directory, and the installer handles the
rest.

jh

--
"I have never smuggled anything in my life. Why, then, do I feel an uneasy
  sense of guilt on approaching a customs barrier?"   -- Steinbeck