SW RAID 1 (install) problem on FC3

Michael J. Pawlowsky mikep at mi-consultants.com
Wed Apr 6 21:37:57 UTC 2005

I did not keep the posts but just looked on the web at the replies.

You know what it sounds like...  It sounds like one of your drives may
be screwed.

I had that happend to me. It would try to sync up...  get about 75% done
than give an error and re-try from the beginning again.
After looking at the SMART info I saw a bunch of errors. I returned the
drive to the manufacturer and they confirmed the errors and sent me back
a new one right away.

Two things to look at to see if this is the case.

One...  does your sync percentange in /proc/mdstat ever go lower than it
was?

The next thing is to take a look at the SMART info on the drive.
Do a man smartctl...  I can't remember  exactly how I got the disk to
perform the full test and report it.
But it is 2 seperate processes.  You get the disk to perform the test.
Do not touch it for an hour or whatever it tells you.
And then come back to get the report.

(Also I had to boot up with no dma to get it going with the bad drive).

Also what speed id /proc/mdstat reporting?

Regards,
Mike