Novell Client

Paul subsolar at subsolar.org
Thu Apr 7 00:50:20 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 17:02 -0400, Bob Owen wrote:
> Is there a Novell client version which will work with Fedora 3?  I
> need to be able to access files located on a Novell 6.5 server.

Bob,
If you just need to access files on the Netware server the easiest
solution may be to install the "Native File Access Pack", this is
included with NW 6.5 (it's an extra cost option for 5.1 which is what we
are still at).  The Native File Access Pack adds support for CIFS
(Microsoft) and NFS file systems to Netware.

If you need to automatically login and mount Netware shares, there are
several solutions, the one I've used on RHL 7.3 & 9 is to install
"ncpfs" utilities (yum install ncpfs) and then use pam_ncp to
authenticate against NDS and mount home directories.  You can find
information on this at http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~ppollet/netware/ncpfs/
there are some minor issues if you are running IP only.

This has worked well for me for a couple engineering workstations
running RHL.  I'm in the process planning a migration from RHL to CentOS
4 (a RHEL 4 derivative) and ran into the issue that ncpfs support is not
compiled for the EL 4 kernel.  I have that issue solved without having
to maintain a custom kernel and will be looking at either using pam_ncp
or using pam_ldap and pam_mount to authenticate and mount Netware.

Regards,
Paul Berger