DHCP problems

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Apr 7 04:20:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 23:11 -0500, Charles Malespin wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I am using ndiswrapper for a wireless card and I am having some
> weird problems with it.  Every once in a while the connection just
> stops and it gives no sign or reason why.  when I try to reconnect
> through various methods I get this error   "Determining IP information
> for wlan0..... No connection found, check cable?"  so I tried
> 'dhclient wlan0' and this is the result that I get(well part of it)
>
> Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:90:4b:cd:e5:d6
> Sending on   LPF/wlan0/00:90:4b:cd:e5:d6
> Can't bind to dhcp address: Address already in use
> Please make sure there is no other dhcp server
> running and that there's no entry for dhcp or
> bootp in /etc/inetd.conf.   Also make sure you
> are not running HP JetAdmin software, which
> includes a bootp server.
>
> What does this mean?  I am a noob so I am just confused as to what
> DHCP is, if I need it, etc.  I have no idea how to reconnect the wlan0
> after it just stops without rebooting the computer.  I have tried
> several methods and none work.  I am running FC3, newest kernel,
> ndiswrapper 1.1(anymore info can be provided).  Thanks,
> Charles
----
I have never used ndiswrapper so this advice may not be fruitful but it
would seem to me that commands such as...

ifdown wlan0
ifup wlan0

might be useful

also - similar but different...

/sbin/service network restart

would likely obviate the need to reboot.

Anyway, assuming that the signal strength is good enough to maintain the
connection, having it drop off the network is a drag and not indicative
of reliability.

Craig