Gunzip unknown suffix -- ignored

Alexander Apprich a.apprich at science-computing.de
Thu Apr 7 07:40:20 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 08:58 +0200, Alexander Apprich wrote:
>
>>THUFIR HAWAT wrote:

>>>unfortunately, this computer doesn't have winzip and I don't have
>>>permissions.  can I compress files for windows xp somehow?
>>>

>>why not use the Windows-Port of gzip/tar/etc. from
>>
>>    http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
>>
>>No installation needed, just unpack them and run them.
>

> Or just use "zip" (part of Fedora Core) to create standard .zip files,
> which XP can handle without any extra software.

I don't know how good you know Windows Xps integrated zip function, but
to me it's a PITA, and as I know how to handle the GNU utils from Linux
I appreciate they exist for Windows , and make my life easier working w/
Windows. The POWER of GNU for Windows, isn't that great?? ;-)

Just my opinion...

> Paul.

Alex