bind problem

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Apr 7 12:12:44 UTC 2005

List wrote:
> Weird. I have the zone entry for anonns.com binding to
> advanced.anonns.com as follows:-
>
> ;Begin of file anonns.com
> $TTL 86400
> @       IN      SOA     advanced.anonns.com. postmaster.anonns.com. (
>                        2005040301
>                        3600
>                        7200
>                        864000
>                        86400 )
>
>                                IN      NS          advanced.anonns.com.
>                                IN      NS          brilliance.anonns.com.
>
>                                IN      MX     5    advanced.anonns.com.
>
>                                 IN      A           203.208.228.152
> ftp                             IN      A           203.208.228.152
> mail                           IN      A           203.208.228.152
> pop                           IN      A           203.208.228.152
> www                         IN      CNAME       anonns.com.
> advanced                   IN      A           203.208.228.152
> brilliance                    IN      A           203.208.228.153
>
> I am getting petty confused.

It's difficult to diagnose the problems from here (both my work and home
machines, on completely separate networks) because I'm getting a lot of
DNS query timeouts from your servers (brilliance.anonns.com seems to be
more reliable at the moment). It may be that it's a network connectivity
issue that's underlying your problems. Is it possible for you to get an
additional DNS server on a separate network to act as an additional
secondary for your domains? Both of your current DNS servers are
currently on the same network, which doesn't help reliability.

The file above looks OK, though I'd be tempted to add a line:
$ORIGIN anonns.com.
at the top.

Paul.