[FC3] Sites 'disappearing' from DNS

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 21:38:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 15:02, Brian Fahrlander wrote:

> > Does your /etc/resolv.conf contain more than one nameserver entry?  If
> > you are having trouble with failures, I'd try more entries even if you
> > have to point them back at the same server to get another chance.
>
>     The local machine (the one I'm on) points only to the DNS machine
> in /etc/resolv.conf.  The DNS machine points to itself, and the DNS
> there is made aware of the root server changes, etc so it can find
> everything by itself.

Where does the error occur?  On your machine or the DNS machine?  If
it is your machine you could try adding more nameserver entries in
/etc/resolv.conf even if you have to point them to the same DNS server.

>     I wonder; I'm not really clear on this 'forwarding' concept. Would
> this be the place for forwarding on my local machine, to this DNS
> machine?

I'd try to fix the network problem first.  DNS uses UDP, so if you
are overloaded or dropping packets the answers can be dropped.  You
can work around it by doing more retries but you really should not
be dropping the answers in the first place.   You could run a DNS
server on your own machine configured to use the local DNS server
as a fowarder but unless you have a huge amount of traffic you
should not need that.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com