[FC3] Sites 'disappearing' from DNS

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Thu Apr 7 23:55:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 16:38 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Where does the error occur?  On your machine or the DNS machine?  If
> it is your machine you could try adding more nameserver entries in
> /etc/resolv.conf even if you have to point them to the same DNS server.

   You must not have heard; the error was a popup window from Firefox.
"host" (or I suppose nslookup) could get the IP addresses, but for some
reason Firefox would pop up an error, quickly, and be the problem.  It
doesn't look like any of the 'real' DNS stuff was ever a problem.

> I'd try to fix the network problem first.  DNS uses UDP, so if you
> are overloaded or dropping packets the answers can be dropped.  You
> can work around it by doing more retries but you really should not
> be dropping the answers in the first place.   You could run a DNS
> server on your own machine configured to use the local DNS server
> as a fowarder but unless you have a huge amount of traffic you
> should not need that.

    Network problem?  No, this problem went away when I messed with
nscd, I don't think there was ever a network problem or DNS problem...

--
Those who entrust life and limb to Microsoft deserve neither. -Me, 2005
Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad