Attn : Dave Jones Re: I just want one more option in the FC Kernels (Dave Jones)

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Fri Apr 8 04:05:20 UTC 2005

Dave Jones wrote:

>Rerolling an ISO has a number of problems. From increased load on
>mirrors, to issues like the installer needing to be updated for
>each release, additional testing etc.
>
>It's not as simple as 'run some script, and out pops a new iso'.
>
>Given FC releases are supposed to be every 6 months or so, it's
>really not worth the pain to do intermediate releases.
>
>		Dave

Dave, a couple of sites on the web purport to describe methodologies for
rebuilding Fedora Core installation CDs with original release rpms
updated/replaced by update packages.  I have seen these step by step
instructions for Fedora Core 2 and Fedora Core 3 releases, but haven't
tried them.

Assuming that the step by step instructions actually produce an updated
Fedora Core 3 distribution iso set, and such an updated set of iso was
made available to the Fedora Project, is there any chance that they
would be made available for download ?  That would seemingly save some
bandwidth by forestalling further downloading of the original isos and
subsequent previously released updates by everyone that installs Fedora
Core 3 now.