Attn : Dave Jones Re: I just want one more option in the FC Kernels (Dave Jones)

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Sat Apr 9 02:07:52 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 17:49 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Yet in the releases before 9, someone at RH was able to make a
> reasonable guess at when there was enough advancement to cut a
> point release and historically, the X.2 versions were pretty good.

But I think this is where your memory may be a little faulty.  Each
release, even in the old days, represented new bugs.  Each came out in
the roughly similar 4-6 month window.  When one is "selling" a
"product", one tries to create a perception of stability with point
releases.

You know we could perpetuate this in to the last few, even, I suppose.
One could make an argument that RHL 9 could be considered 8.1.  There is
some history that it was called 9 for "marketing reasons".  Likewise
most considered FC 1 to simply be 9.1 or would that be 8.2, but got a
name change with the introduction of the Fedora Project.

But I guess the point is, did you expect Red Hat, or the Fedora Project,
to roll a new ISO every month, with updates, even in those days?  I
think what you are looking for is something geared towards "production"
oriented environments.  This is not a goal of the Fedora Project.  What
you want is RHEL.  There they roll a new set of ISOs every 3-4 months
with the updates.  There, the goal is stability.

The Fedora Project is a bleeding edge distribution where the "users" are
expected to understand what they are getting in to.  This is not the
replacement of RHL.  This is not some desktop focused distribution.  It
is the bleeding edge for the Red Hat universe.  Those jumping on board
should expect a fun ride, but should do so with their eyes open.  And
having my eyes open, means downloading updates....  Those continuing to
report bugs on non-updated code are welcome to do so but would probably
be better served on RHEL as a distribution.

Of course, ignoring the stated policy of time based releases that is on
the Fedora Project page, I still have difficulty understanding how
anyone expects to install something and not immediately look for updates
in any environment for any software....

But, on the other hand, since you seem very focused on having "micro-
updates" in the form of ISOs, I think the verdict will be that if
members of the community are willing to do this, then more power to
them, but it would need to be a parallel project, like the Fedora Legacy
Project, since it is counter-intuitive to the stated goals of the main
Fedora Project....

--Rob