weird behaviour with 'less'

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 05:00:48 UTC 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 11:46 PM, Aaron Gaudio <prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 14:53 -0500, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am experiencing a weird behaviour of the 'less' command. I wonder if
> > anyone else has it. It looks to me that everytime I invoke less, like
> >
> > > less somefile.txt
> >
> > it re-sources my .cshrc before executing. For example,
> >

> Check your $LESSOPEN environment variable. The default value for me is
> "|/usr/bin/lesspipe.sh %s". If you look at /usr/bin/lesspipe.sh, it's a
> (bourne) shell script. How or why this would end up executing a .cshrc,
> I don't know, but that LESSOPEN thing has caused more pain for me than
> it's helped (it never seems to work from an ssh terminal).

I got:
>echo $LESSOPEN
|/usr/bin/lesspipe.sh %s

I looked into the file, but didn;t see much to explain that behaviour.

> At any rate, many utilities will end up having this behaviour (I suspect
> you may get the same thing trying to use /usr/bin/which). You may want
> to consider moving that stuff out of your .cshrc and into your .login
> file, so it only gets executed on login shells.

Now you got me. I don't know the difference between these two files.
Could you tell me more about it? or point to some document that tells
me when to use which?

Thanks,

Gustavo Seabra                 Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.         Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680