starting a python script as a background process

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Apr 9 15:02:07 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 09.04.2005 schrieb Claude Jones um 16:43:

> Could you explain why you think it's preferable to use such a script vs.
> placing the commands in rc.local? I'm still learning, and the difference
> in the two approaches is not apparent to me.

> Claude Jones

a) What if you boot without network or in a situation where you switch
off other required services? /etc/rc.local will be executed in any way
and does not care for other situations

b) /etc/rc.local runs very last in the boot process order. You can't let
a command execute through it earlier.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.771_FC2smp
Serendipity 16:58:44 up 10 days, 14:25, load average: 0.11, 0.23, 0.24