Cannot start squid !!!

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Apr 9 16:12:48 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 09.04.2005 schrieb Pierre Pelletier um 17:59:

> When I try to start squid, it does not stay and leave with this message:
>
> FATAL: Could not determine fully qualified hostname.  Please set
> 'visible_hostname'

A verbose error message.

> I read another email with the same case and it was suggested to use
> webmin.  I tried, learned about this new good tool but it did not help
> !  What I need I guess is that fully qualified name.  All the exemples I
> can find seem to be for someone who would have his own domainName
> registred which is not my case !

No, you don't need a registered domain.

> Does it have to do with my hostname here on my pc ?... Thank you very
> much for any clue !

Of course. Check your /etc/hosts file and the /etc/sysconfig/network
where HOSTNAME is set. What's needed to set a FQDN has been explained a
lot of times on this list (-> archive).

> Pierre Pelletier

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.771_FC2smp
Serendipity 18:10:27 up 10 days, 15:36, load average: 0.22, 0.23, 0.27