exec of init (/sbin/init) failed

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Sat Apr 9 17:53:28 UTC 2005

On Friday 08 April 2005 19:54, Barry Yu wrote:
> One of my machine broke downn during the process of updating
> (with yum), I had to reboot and during the booting up in level 3
> a message displayed;
>
> exec of init (/sbin/init) failed !!!: 2
> umount /initrd/dev  failed: 2
> kernel panic - not syncing. Attempted to kill init!
>
> And the machine just freezes right there!
> I powered it down and start it again, same thing happened - FC3
> is completely down.
> Any solution? Tks

Can you log into single user mode?  If so, perhaps looking at either
your /var/log/yum.conf, or a date sorted listing (ll -t)
of /var/cache/yum/updates-released/packages/ file will clue you
into which rpms were being updated at the time and verifying the
rpm contents (rpm -V package) may offer more clues.

Regards, Mike Klinke