Linux distro install from floppy?

Paul subsolar at subsolar.org
Sat Apr 9 18:17:07 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 11:59 -0400, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> Sasa Stupar wrote:
>

> > --On samedi 9 avril 2005 09:46 -0400 Arthur Pemberton
> > <dalive at flashmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Are there any full distros of linux that can be installed via floppy (no
> >> cdrom or network). And which of these woudl run on a sub 8MB eof memory
> >> machine?
> >>
> >> Thank you.
> >

> > If you want to have only a router then use FreeSCO at
> > <http://www.freesco.org/>
> > Here you even don't need a HDD, only a floppy.
> >
> No thanks, I know about the router distros. I need something with
> compilers too.

Does the system have a FPU (486DX or higher)?

I had an old 486SX laptop and everything I tried assumed that you had a
FPU (ie the kernel was built without FPU emulation).  The best thing for
such a low-end machine might be FreeDOS (http://www.freedos.org).  There
are free compilers (the Borland TC 2.1 and TC++ 1.1), OpenWatcom and
others that can be used on it.

Regards,
Paul Berger