What is the official/semi-official positon of Fedora on KDE?

Pete pg56cgy at yahoo.ca
Sat Apr 9 22:41:09 UTC 2005

I installed kde-redhat using a combination of yum and
a lot of hand-picking of rpms from the fedora-extras
repo and kde-redhat. Perhaps I made myself too much
work, because with the confidence I now have in
kde-redhat, I'm sure their versions would have been as
good as fedora extras.

I want to warn you about shockwave flash. It's ok to
install sxfdec, but don't bother with the plugin (it
doesn't support flash 6, 7, or 8). If you install it,
few web pages will work in Konqueror. They will either
freeze up or just not display. Get the official flash
plugin for Linux from macromedia.com. It works
flawlessly in Konqueror, Firefox and Mozilla.

Some of the screensavers don't work. I figured out how
to get most, but not all, of the problem ones working:
go into gnome screensaver setup and set the extended
screensaver configuration options up (mainly, just
telling them that they can manipulate the screen,
where the image directories are, etc).

If amarok starts using up 100% of your cpu (strangely,
not while playing music, but when you hit stop), you
have to go into setup and do either: pick the arts
engine; or choose the gstreamer engine with alsasink
output plugin and enter the device, dmix. This will
solve the problem.

I had a funny problem after upgrading, but I don't
recall whether it was with the kde-redhat 3.4 or the
fedora official kde 3.4, but what happened was after
logging in, I would get an error message that
/usr/lib/qt-3.3/etc/settings/qt_plugins_3.3rc could
not be opened. By setting the permission of this file,
chmod 644, the problem was solved.

I want to tell you that it might be necessary to also
install mplayer and xine (from dag repo). If mplayer
gives you an error message about lirc and you don't
have a remote control, just install it with the
--nodeps flag. There are some special configurations
that you need to do. You have to get the mplayer
codecs from www.mplayerhq.hu (get the all.tar file).
Unpack them and put them into /usr/lib/win32, so that
xine can make use of them. Then: ln -s /usr/lib/win32
/usr/local/lib/codecs, so that mplayer finds them.
Make sure to tell xine where they are, too, by doing
the program setup (xine uses the win32 directory
mentioned above). Also, get all of the gstreamer
plugins from kde-redhat, and if any are missing, use
the ones from fedora-extras (dag might have yet more).
After they are all installed, register them for each
user on your computer: gst-register-0.8. The two
programs, kplayer and kmplayer, from the kde-redhat
repo are just frontends for xine, mplayer and
gstreamer, but have some very nice features... and
kmplayer even records video streams! You should now
have a fully functional system. Yippee!

Pete

PS: No, I have not posted my ecstatic assessment of
kde-redhat to their mailing list. I guess I really
should give those guys some thanks for the super job.