How to build latest n greatest Apache,PHP, OpenSSL rpms?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Apr 10 16:13:29 UTC 2005

Am So, den 10.04.2005 schrieb Loki Choggio um 18:06:

> How to build latest n greatest Apache,PHP, OpenSSL
> rpms?

For what is it worth? Fedora is already leading edge. If not having the
latest biggest version number of applications counts what?

> Hi guys. The problem with Fedora/RedHat is their
> insistence on using e.g Apache 2.0.46 or
> openssl-0.9.7a-40.i386.rpm and then having everything
> down that tree ie openssla.41 etc How do i go about
> building my own rpm from the Apache 2.0.53 src from
> httpd.apache.org? I know i would need a spec file but
> can't proceed yet.

http://www.gurulabs.com/goodies/guru+guides.php

Study the RPM building if you really feel its worth the work.

> For example while Apache 2.0.53 was released Fedora
> didn't bother updating so the present 2.0.52 is
> theoretically exploitable. For example php 4.3.11 came
> out on March 31st but no updates are around the corner
> Fedorawise. We know what happened with the holes in
> php 4.3.9 and the exploits in existence.

Security fixes are backported. Maybe you should read the RPMs
changelogs.

> I know someone will suggest using the development tree
> packages but on FC3 they will break your system due to
> the well known "dependency hell" problem as they beed
> upgated glibc libcdst++ etc

I doubt anyone will recommend using the development / rawhide tree for a
system acting as a server system.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.771_FC2smp
Serendipity 18:10:10 up 11 days, 15:36, load average: 0.31, 0.24, 0.24