Does Disk Druid erase current partition?

Tom linxt at comcast.net
Mon Apr 11 00:21:58 UTC 2005

On Sunday 10 April 2005 15:25, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Tom wrote:
> > DD only re-arranges partitions if used in automatic mode, not in manual
> > mode.
>
> I don't think that is true.
> I tried DD in manual mode. deleting partitions and creating new partitions,
> and DD re-arranged my new partitions in a bizarre way.

Hi Tim:

Hmmm, never had it re-arrange my existing partitions.  I use separate
partitions for /home, /var, /usr, /downloads, /storage (2nd drive to save
settings, etc) and /etc so no partition can grow to a point of overwriting
another area, keeping track of diskfree so I don't run out of space within
any partition.

I almost always use DD in manual mode but re-use the partitions I had
previously, just re-formatting the ones I don't wish to keep the current data
on.

Although DD has not re-arranged my partitions, I did notice that when I
started with FC4 series, the partition names were modified by adding a 1 on
the end of the name: /downloads became /downloads1.

And I've learned from experience not to try partitioning when not wide
awake!!!

Just my $.02
Tom

> In my experience Disk Druid is a terrible application.
> I can't imagine why "they" think it is better than fdisk,
> which just does what you ask it to do.
>
> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Tom Taylor
registered linux #263467