Sendmail

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 03:11:49 UTC 2005

William M. Quarles wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set up Sendmail for the first time, and I don't really
> know what I am doing beyond the man file and some stuff on their
> website.  I modified the configuration file and I'm supposed to do this
> (followed by the message that I received):
>
> [root at physstud root]# m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf
> /etc/mail/sendmail.mc:8: m4: Cannot open
> /usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4: No such file or directory
>
> I don't know how to make an m4 file.  Could somebody give me a hand?
>
> Thanks,
> William

It's worth asking right now: What TCP or UDP port does Sendmail use? My
guess is Port 25. In which case, you might as well know: a columnist
writing for /eWeek/ has just recommended that every ISP /deny access to
Port 25/ to all residential Internet accountholders. The reason: people
are setting up their own mail servers and using them to crank out spam.
When Port 25 gets blocked, Sendmail becomes useless--unless I'm missing
something.

Temlakos