somewhat worrying messages from syslog

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Apr 12 18:57:19 UTC 2005

nicholas manojlovic wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After a clean install of fc3 (long story), Ive managed to finally update
> the system with redhat packages, including the latest kernel (2.6.11-?).
>
> As I was downloading some further packages from the Planet Ccrma apt, I
> recieved this message from the syslog via terminal:
>
> Apr 13 04:13:32 localhost kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold
> Apr 13 04:13:32 localhost kernel: CPU0: Temperature above threshold
> Apr 13 04:13:32 localhost kernel: CPU0: Running in modulated clock mode
> Apr 13 04:13:32 localhost kernel: CPU1: Running in modulated clock mode
>
> I have a P4, w/ hyper-threading and using a Shuttle designed
> case/cooling system (thermal). Its currently 4.15am, so not sure if
> cron's are being strange. Its a moderate room temperature.
>
> I rebooted into the old kernel installed on the FC3 disks, but have
> recieved the message again. My system-monitor is all over the place with
> CPU usage, but stable with RAM usage.
>
> Is this damaging? Any help? Ideas?
>
> At this stage Im going to shutdown the computer and use Windows XP for
> the next few days until I get a clearer picture of whats going on - will
> that help the situation if this is a Linux related issue?
>
> Can I be confident that the system would shut-down before any actual
> damage occured?
>
> Im also due to give the case a good vacuum.
>
> Hope Im not over-reacting,
> Niko

It is an indication of the thermal monitor on your processor.

XP may not give you a warning about your processor over heating.  If
it gets to hot, your processor will die.  At least Fedora noticed it
and changed it's operating mode to minimize the heat build up.

Better getting a message as to why your machine seems slow than to
just have it happen.

Shutdown and clean you system if it requires it.  It may stop the over
heating.  Also check that nothing is blocking the air flow at any vent.

When the crons run, the system monitor will go every which way as the
different processes are run.

--
Robin Laing