Setting up accounts for Sendmail

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Apr 12 19:37:08 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 12.04.2005 schrieb Janu Sundaram um 20:04:

> I have configutred sendmail using the link
> http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/sendmail-smtp-auth-howto.php.Also I have to
> create accounts and setup mail folders for these accounts.How do I do
> this?After I create the accounts can I just copy the inbox files from an old
> mail server to a new mail server?

> Janu

Above howto does not reflect current SASLv2 setup but just older SASLv1.
This means

/usr/lib/sasl/Sendmail.conf
pwcheck_method:pam

isn't correct for Fedora. The default setup is to use saslauthd with
mechanism shadow. So AUTH works against system accounts. With other
words, how you create accounts depends on your mail setup. You wasn't
specific about your intentions. If you want to use Sendmail and Dovecot
in Fedora's default way you have to add users with useradd (or the GUI
tool). The spool maiboxes are created from skeleton automatically. You
can copy mailboxes from a different server if the mail storage has the
same format.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC2smp
Serendipity 21:32:34 up 18:12, 18 users, 0.57, 0.58, 0.47