ideal partitionning for a workstation user

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Tue Apr 12 21:06:48 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 07:43 am, hicham wrote:
> Hello
>   what 's the ideal partitionning for a workstation user  ?
>
> I've got a small /boot partition with 20 Mo aand the remaining for /
>
> the reason I'm asking this is that it seems that everytime I have lot
> of read write on the hard disk,( yum update for example)  it "lags" or
> stalls my pc
>
>  is there a "magic partition" software for linux users ?
>
> thanks
>
> hicham.
If you watch top or gkrellm you may well find that the useage is many times
more CPU than disk.

As for "magic partitions" you are pretty much out of luck. A raid, drive
though, may give you better performance for disk accesses depending on type
size and use.

>From what you are implying by the statement workstation, I would set up a
seperate drive or partition if you are doing any programming. This will keep
your system from being destroyed if you do something 'bad' as long as you
keep all work to that disk/partition (It has saved me a few times).
--
John H Ludwig