Hostname and Server Name

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 18:02:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 11:44, Janu Sundaram wrote:
> I am trying to setup a server which should provide services as a
> webserver , email server , ftp server .I have registered a domain for
> myself and it is something like www.domain.com .

Did you arrange DNS service for all the names you might use
(www.domain.com, ftp.domain.com, etc.)?  Are you running the
dns server yourself?

> Now when I setup Fedora 3 , and assign static ip address , is hostname
> something I should not worry about can I type something I like?

That depends somewhat on how you configure the services.  Mail and
http are often treated as 'virtual' services where you specify the
names they accept separately in their configuration.

>  .What is server name ?, I typed servername in HTTP configuration ,and
> when I tried to access the server from another comp using the
> servername it did not work it works only through ip address.
>
> Am I doing something wrong here ?

Two things have to happen.  First, DNS must provide the name-to-ip
number lookup, and for the rest of the world this happens by having
the nameserver(s) for your domain registered with the root servers.
You can check this with 'whois yourdomain.com', and check if it
is working with 'dig hostname.yourdomain.com'.   The second thing
that has to happen is that the service on your machine has to
recognize it's own name if configured for virtual services.  If
your web server responds correctly by ip address then it is not
using 'named' virtual services and you don't have to worry about
that part unless you add other domains on the same machine.  For
email, you will have to configure the names you wish to accept
if that differs from the hostname you give the machine.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com