FC2 boot/login problem (continued)

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 14 10:43:00 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 18:07 -0700, Paul Murtaugh wrote:
> I turned off the rhgb option and can now see all of the
> services starting up, without any problems.  I then briefly
> see a text login prompt (which apparently isn't functional),
> followed by a dark screen with hourglass, when normally I'd
> get the graphical login screen.  My only option at this
> point is to turn off the computer.
>
> Help?!
>
> Thanks
> -Paul
>
> On 4/13/05, Paul Murtaugh <murtaugh at stat.oregonstate.edu> wrote:
>
> > It would get to the 'Welcome to Fedora' screen, and
> > then go blank with the hourglass -- as you usually see
> > before the various services get started.  But it would go
> > no further; every so often the screen would refresh, but
> > the blank screen with hourglass would re-appear, ad
> > infinitum.  It doesn't get to the screen with the progress
> > bar and 'Show details' option, so I have no idea how to
> > begin debugging this problem.
>
> Turn off the rhgb kernel option.

Some details about the hardware might help get some resolution to the
problem.

In the mean time:  Try booting to runlevel 3, by appending a 3 to the
end of the kernel command line in grub.  The start up process will stop
at the text login.  Login as root and run startx, hopefully one of the
many messages that appear may point to some error.  It might help to
pipe the startx output to a file.

Is this an integrated graphics adapter.  If so, make sure the memory you
(and/or X) think is allocated to it really is.

Bob...