backup the entire server

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Apr 14 19:47:15 UTC 2005

Rick Stevens wrote:
> As Aleksander says, block-level backup can also be accomplished by using
> RAID-1 and using the secondary drive(s) as the backup media.  You can
> then "fail" the secondary drive(s), pull them out, replace them, and ask
> your RAID to rebuild the secondaries.  This is very, very clunky and I
> do not recommend doing it--but it is an option.

Actually, what I had in mind were Solaris boxes that have some extra
features (such as offlining, three-way mirrors, and file system locks).
  And certanly nothing like failing the drives or ripping them out ;-)

Something along the lines:

# /etc/init.d/my-apps stop
# lockfs -fw /mount/point
# metaoffline d10 d11
# lockfs -u /mount/point
# /etc/init.d/my-apps start
# ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0n /dev/md/rdsk/d11
# metaonline d10 d11

If d10 was two-way mirror (the only kind of mirror available on Linux),
redundancy is lost during backup.  If it was three-way mirror (Solaris
has support for it), redundancy is not lost (but you need 50% more of
disk space compared to two-way mirroring, oh well).  Plus, example above
uses offline/online commands (not dettach/attach).  When d11 is onlined,
only changed disk blocks are synced (not entire partition).  AFAIK,
Linux lacks support for lockfs and online/offline operations.  So for
large partitions on Linux this isn't a good option (huge
detached/reattached partitions can take hours to sync on Linux, while
offlined/onlined partitions on Solaris can sync very fast, depending on
how many writes were to the disk while submirror was offlined).