FC2 boot/login problem (continued)

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Thu Apr 14 21:40:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:55:19AM -0700, Paul Murtaugh wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 06:43:00AM -0400, Bob Chiodini wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 18:07 -0700, Paul Murtaugh wrote:
> > > I turned off the rhgb option and can now see all of the
> > > services starting up, without any problems.  I then briefly
> > > see a text login prompt (which apparently isn't functional),
> > > followed by a dark screen with hourglass, when normally I'd
> > > get the graphical login screen.  My only option at this
> > > point is to turn off the computer.
> >
> > Some details about the hardware might help get some resolution to the
> > problem.
> >
> > In the mean time:  Try booting to runlevel 3, by appending a 3 to the
> > end of the kernel command line in grub.  The start up process will stop
> > at the text login.  Login as root and run startx, hopefully one of the
> > many messages that appear may point to some error.  It might help to
> > pipe the startx output to a file.
>
> >From Aaron Konstam:
>
> > Before trying startx I would use the system-config-display command to
> > configure your xorg.conf file. What you describe is the classic
> > "display not properly configured" symptom.
>
> Logging in as root on level 3, I've tried the following things:
>
> 1. 'system-config-display --reconfig': 'Trying with ATI Mach 64' ... to
>    a plain blue screen without any text ... back to text mode with the
>    warning 'SESSION-MANAGER environment variable not defined'.  I can't
>    for the life of me figure out how to define it.

I am not sure why you are using a --reconfig option on the command.
Or another tack is to move xorg.conf to a backup file and then run
the command with out any options. It has worked for me.

Everyone talks about apathy, but no one ____does anything about it.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University