Update Service

Dave Mitchell davem at iabyn.com
Thu Apr 14 23:41:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 04:31:04PM -0700, Scott Becker wrote:
> If yum is not the default, how do I set it up? If I'm already using yum
> and 9kb/s is typical then I long for the days or old rhn where I can pay
> $60/year to get an update service which can feed updates at 100kb/s.

IIRC, up2date out of the box doesn't try mirrors, so you just get the
extremely slow RH servers.

The easiest way to set up yum is to install the sample yum.conf
mentioned in the FAQ:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/samples/yum.conf

save as /etc/yum.conf, then run

    # yum update

you'll probably find it a lot faster.

--
In England there is a special word which means the last sunshine
of the summer. That word is "spring".